Data model update: Projects - Grants - Funders
The DMP data model is simplified with the following approach:
The current "project" item is renamed as "Grant".
A new entity called "Project" is created.
A new entity of "Funder" is created. It is not directly attached to the DMP but associated to the Grant (one to many).
Both entities (Project and Grant) are attached to DMP.
- Grant is mandatory property of a DMP.
- Grant is being fetched from one or more external sources, or created locally.
- A new attribute of "Funder" is attached to Grant. The attribute is mandatory.
- Project on DMP is optional and autopopulated. i.e. the user may add a project or not.
- Project is being fetched from one or more external sources, or created locally.
- If the project is left blank the Grant populates the Project field too.
- Funder is being fetched from one or more external sources, or created locally.
- Funder is related to Grants (one to many)
- Funder is related (many to many) to Dataset Templates. (future ?)
- Funder is related (many to many) to DMP Templates. (future ?)
- The database for funders also includes an entry "Other"
DMP Creation flow
In the creation of a DMP the first choice is "Funder", which may be picked or manually created. The next step is the selection of the Grant. If the external source supports funder as part of the query, then it is passed through. If "other" is selected the the funder is ignored. Manual creation of a new grant is allowed.
The next step is the selection of the project. The Grant is the default proposal, however the user may pick a project from an external source or create a new one.
Once the link of funder and DMP / Dataset Templates is established, only templates that are valid for this funder (or not associated with any funder ? ) are suggested to the user at proper points.
The new simplified model drops the case where one project one DMP that spans multiple grants, which is one of the initial assumptions of OpenDMP future. In this case the DMP cloning facility will be extended to allow copying of DMPs across Grants.